- Private, employee, community or cooperative ownership.
- Not registered as or associated with a franchise, chain or carry a national brand name. Cannot be a MLM business.
- At least 50% owned in Amarillo, Texas with no corporate or national headquarters outside of Texas.
- Full decision making function for the business is held by the local owner(s), including name, signage, brand, appearance, purchasing, etc.
- The business is solely responsible for paying its own rent, marketing, and other expenses.
*The definition of "independent" and the resulting guidelines by Think Local Amarillo were created based on widely recognized standards as defined by the two largest and most highly respected Buy Local organizations in the country: BALLE (Business Alliance for Local Living Economies) and AMIBA (American Independent Business Alliance).